A non-acquisitive First Prize of $5,000 will be announced at the official Obi Art Prize exhibition opening.
A non-acquisitive People’s Choice prize of $1500 will be awarded to the artist receiving the most votes during on the opening night of the exhibition.
Terms and Conditions of Entry
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant, executed within the two years prior to the entry closing date.
- The Obi Art Prize is open to any Australian resident living and working in Australia in any two dimensional (2D) medium.
- Artwork that is flat, possessing height and width, but no depth, such as a painting, drawing, textile or work on canvas are eligible for the prize.
- The finished work must not exceed 100cm in either length or width. Bas or low relief art work in which materials protrude slightly from a flat background to a depth of no more than 5cm are also eligible.
- The work must be framed (a stretched canvas is considered framed) and fitted with D rings 100mm from top of work.
- No work submitted shall have been entered into the Obi Art Prize in any previous year.
- Entries representing partnerships between individuals will be accepted as one entry and on the understanding that each partner’s contribution is deemed equal.
- All works entered into the prize must be available for display, for the entire duration of the exhibition. Artwork which has already been sold will not be eligible for inclusion and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- Artists pre-selected for the Obi Art Prize will allow their works to be reproduced by print and electronic media for the purpose of advertising and promotion for the exhibition and for the exhibition catalogue.
- All expenses incurred in the submission of the entry are the responsibility of the applicant.
- The Obi Art Prize/Maleny Neighbourhood Centre reserves the right to determine the most appropriate method for displaying 2D works, and to refuse to display any works deemed inappropriate or unsafe.
- Entrants are limited to one entry per person.
- Employees of the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre are not eligible to enter the prize.
How to Enter
Please note Entries open on Monday 1st April 2019 and must be submitted by Monday 22 July 2019, 5.00 pm AEST (Queensland time).
A complete online Entry involves the following:
- Artist contact full details.
- Entry fee of $40 (non-refundable) payable online only upon entering the competition accompanied with a completed entry form.
- Only one work per entry. If you wish to enter multiple works a new entry form must be completed with the $40 entry fee.
- The artwork must have been executed within the two years prior to the entry closing date.
- One image file. Image must be High Res 300dpi jpeg format only (4MB max).
- File name should be clearly labelled with the artist’s surname (capitals), first name (lowercase), title of the work. eg. SMITH_John_MonaLisa,
- An artist statement, 150 words about the Artwork and medium used, in word doc format only). Artist Statement file name should be clearly labelled with the artist’s full name; first name (lowercase) and surname (lowercase) followed by artist statement. eg. John_smith_artist statement.
No responsibility is accepted for late, lost or misdirected entries.
- Artists whose works have been chosen as finalists will be notified by email or telephone of their success by Friday 23 August and are required to deliver their works to the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre no later than Friday 20th September 2019. Artwork will not be accepted after this date.
- All finalist will be published on www.obiartprize.com and images may also be used for advertising and promotion of the Obi Art Prize and the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre in any form of media now known or yet to be devised, both from the date the semi-finalists are announced and in future years.
- All finalist works not sold must be collected by the artist or their representative within seven (7) days of the exhibition closing date at no cost to the Obi Art Prize or the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre.
- PLEASE NOTE: Any entry not collected will become the property of the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre, to be used or sold at their discretion.
Participation in the Prize
The 40 finalists selected for the Obi Art Prize will receive further details on participation in the prize.
The artworks will be exhibited at the Obi Art Prize 2019 exhibition from 4 October 2019 until 8 October 2019 at the Maleny Community Centre, Maleny, Queensland.
From the finalists the judges will select first prize.
- The forty Finalists selected will form the 2019 Obi Art Prize to be held at Maleny Community Centre from 4 October to 7 October 2019.
- From the forty Finalist works the judges will decide on the First Prize Winner of $5,000 and a “Peoples Choice” award of $1,500, to be announced publicly at the opening of the Obi Art Prize Exhibition on 4th October 2019.
- The artist warrants that the work submitted is their original work and does not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party, and that they own the work and all rights and interests in the work submitted. The artist will indemnify and keep indemnified the Obi Art Prize and Maleny Neighbourhood Centre against any claim by a third party in relation to the work.
- By agreeing to the terms and conditions you are agreeing to be added to our subscriber database and you understand that Obi Art Prize may send you relevant information from time to time. You are able to unsubscribe from this database as any time.
- All Artists are advised to insure their works. All reasonable care is taken with all entries but the Obi Art Prize takes no responsibility whatsoever for loss or damage however caused to any works submitted.
- Every year independent judges are invited to select the winner of the Obi Art Prize. The judges have absolute discretion in selecting the Finalists and Winner and the judges’ decision will be final and not subject to discussion or appeal and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The organisers of the competition reserve the right to declare ineligible any work that does not conform to their interpretation of the terms of the Conditions of Entry. The Obi Art Prize and the judges have absolute discretion in determining the eligibility of an entry and no discussion, appeal or correspondence will be entered into.
- The First Prize and People’s Choice winner will be announced on the opening night Friday 4 October 2019. Voting for the People’s Choice award is only available to attendees at the opening night.
- NOTE: All entries must be for sale. There will be a 25% commission payable to the Maleny Neighbourhood Centre from each finalist painting sales.
ARTWORK DELIVERY TO:
OBI ART PRIZE 2019
Maleny Neighbourhood Centre (MNC)
17 Bicentenary Lane
MALENY, QLD 4552